Special Event Liability Insurance

Special Event Liability Insurance  


You can be prepared with our Special Event Liability Insurance. This insurance provides protection when you host activities that fall outside the scope of your General Liability Insurance or in instances where you do not currently carry General Liability Insurance. Event Liability Insurance provides liability coverage and legal defense for claims of negligence brought on the basis of mismanagement, improper security, failure to maintain equipment/fixtures, and more.


As you plan your event, it's essential that you make the appropriate insurance arrangements. Don't put it off; take care of the insurance now!


To apply for coverage, simply click the “Apply Now” button or print the application by clicking the “Download Application” button. If you have questions or need more information, contact Mercer Consumer at 1-866-838-9536.


Important Information: Participants Legal Liability is outlined below.

Apply for coverage!

Get your Certificate of Insurance,

Please click below to begin the online application.

Event Eligibility

If your event will have 500 or fewer attendees/participants, the cost of the event is covered by the University. Most events are covered by the policy and you may complete the online application form within a few minutes by entering the details of your event to obtain your Certificate of Insurance immediately. However, some activities, devices and recreational exposures are excluded as per the list below. Please contact us for assistance at 1-800-838-9536 if your event includes any of the listed exclusions; our service center is available Monday – Friday, 8am-5pm (CT).




Aircraft Events in Private residences Leased/Loaned/Rented Recreational Vehicles Shooting Activities
Airport Grass Skiing Outdoor Inflatables Operated by the Insured Snow Sleds
Animals Hot Air Balloon Pyrotechnicians/Fireworks Snowmobiles
Bungee Inverted Aerial Maneuvers Rodeos Saddle Animals
Carnivals & Fairs with Mechanical rides Operated by the Insured Objects Propelled at People Racing, Speed, Demolition or Stunting Activity involving any Motorized Vehicle, Motorcycle, Watercraft, Power boat, Sailboat Trampolines


In addition, there are some types of events that the underwriter may need to review further such as events including contact sports, events of a political nature, hip-hop or rap concerts and parades sponsored by the insured. Please note, that underwriting review may take up to 7-10 days; therefore, please contact our service center with any urgent requests.


If your event will have over 500 attendees/participants, all of the above event eligibility guidelines apply. In addition, please complete all of the questions on the online or paper application. Further underwriting review will be necessary to determine the event’s eligibility and the event’s premium; underwriting review may take up to 7-10 days; therefore, please contact our service center with any urgent requests.


Sporting Events/Activities

In order to have coverage for bodily injury to players/participants (referred to as “Participant Legal Liability”) of a sporting event/activity, then Accident Medical insurance of at least $10,000 per player/participant for all player/participants and signed waivers are required. Failure to have both will mean that each claim for “Participants Legal Liability” is subject to a $10,000 deductible.


PLEASE NOTE: During the renewal process and website update, you may not be able to access the online registration. If you need to obtain a Certificate of Insurance during this time, please download and complete the pdf application and email it to us at plsdsteam.service@mercer.com.


Finally, if there will be vendors, exhibitors or performers (such as product/souvenir sales, musicians, etc.) at the event they must provide you with a Certificate of Insurance naming your organization and your University as an Additional Insured. If they do not have this coverage, they may apply separately by downloading the Tenant User Liability Insurance (event liability for non-school parties) application on the www.CampusConnexions.com website.

Special Event Application

Claims Reporting

How to report a claim:
  • Philadelpha Process (Liability Claims)

    1. Gather the Facts

      When reporting a notice of loss, please provide as much detail as possible. This should include, but not be limited to, Insured Name, Contact Name, Policy Number, Date of Loss, Location of Loss, Cause of Loss, Your Policy or Reference Number, Initial Steps Taken to Mitigate the Loss, Type (s) of Damage and Estimated Amount of Loss.

    2. Report
      • -Available Online – Click here to report a claim

      • -Philadelphia Insurance Companies 
        Attention Claims Department 
        One Bala Plaza, Suite 100 
        Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004-0950

      • -Phone: 800-765-9749
        Fax: 800-685-9238
        Email – claimsreport@phlyins.com
    3. Follow Up
    4. The claims customer service department will immediately process your first notice of loss and you will be contacted by your servicing representative.
  • What type of insurance do I need?

    Phily’s general liability and accident medical programs cover a wide variety of sports activities and non-sports special events. Accident medical insurance is only required when there is an athletic activity exposure.


We're here to help! Please contact us in whatever manner is most convenient for you.


 Direct Phone
 M-F 8a-5p CST
 Mailing Address - Program Administrator
Mercer Consumer
a service of Mercer Health & Benefits Administration LLC
PO Box 14521
Des Moines, IA 50306
 Street Address for Express Shipments
Mercer Consumer
12421 Meredith Drive
Urbandale, IA 50398

Mercer's Role & Compensation